Please note that the original language version of this page Swedish has been amended recently. The language version you are now viewing is currently being prepared by our translators.
Swipe to change

If my claim (from another country) is to be considered in this country


Content provided by:
There is no official translation of the language version you are viewing.
You can access a machine translated version of this content here. Please note that it is only provided for contextual purposes. The owner of this page accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the quality of this machine translated text.

Which authority decides on a claim for compensation in cross-border cases?

The Swedish Crime Victim Compensation and Support Authority

Storgatan 49
Umeå, Sweden

Tel: +46)90708200
Fax : +(46)90178353


Postal address:
P.O. Box 470
SE-901 09
Umeå, Sweden

Can I send my claim directly to the deciding authority in this country even in cross-border cases (without having to go via the assisting authority in my home country)?

Yes; if the crime took place in Sweden, the claim may be sent directly to the Swedish Crime Victim Compensation and Support Authority.

In which language(s) do the compensation authorities accept the:

– claim?

– supporting documents?

The claim and supporting documents are accepted in Swedish and English.

If the compensation authority translates the claim/supporting documents from another EU country, who pays for this?

The translation costs are borne by the Swedish Crime Victim Compensation and Support Authority.

Are there administrative or other charges to be paid in this country for processing my claim (received from another EU country)? If so, how can I pay these?


If I need to be present during the procedure and/or when my claim is being decided upon, can I be reimbursed for my travelling costs? How can I claim them? Who do I have to contact?

The claimant does not need to be present. The processing is done in writing.

Is an interpreter provided, in case I have to be personally present?

There are options for interpreting if it is needed during the process.

Will medical certificates, given by doctors in my country of residence, be accepted or recognised – or will my health/injury have to be examined by your own medical experts?

Medical certificates and medical notes from other countries may be accepted. Where an additional assessment is required, the Swedish Crime Victim Compensation and Support Authority usually engages expert physicians to write an opinion based on the medical evidence available.

Will I be reimbursed for my travelling costs, if I have to undergo a medical examination in this country?

Usually there is no need for a medical examination in Sweden if you are a resident of another EU country. However, there is a possibility to have the costs reimbursed if a further investigation of this kind is required.

How long does it take approximately to get a decision on compensation from the authority/body?

The processing time varies depending on the nature of the case and the authority's workload. The average processing time is usually approximately three months, but it could take either less or more time than that. Cases are processed in order of receipt, and no precedence is usually given.

In which language will I receive the decision on my claim?

The decision will be in Swedish. If you do not speak Swedish, you will also receive a summary of the decision in English.

If I am not satisfied with the decision, how can I challenge it?

Decisions by the Swedish Crime Victim Compensation and Support Authority cannot be challenged, but the authority can change its decision upon request or on its own initiative if new circumstances come to light or if there are other grounds for doing so.

A claimant who is dissatisfied with the decision must send a written request to the authority for the case to be re-assessed. The desired change and the reasons for it should be specified in the request. Any supplementary material should be submitted together with the request.

Can I get legal aid (help from a lawyer) under the other country's rules?

Compensation for legal representation costs will only be given if there are particular grounds for doing so. The help of a lawyer is usually not needed for compensation of criminal damage. It is relatively easy to submit a claim. The authority also has an obligation to provide information and advice to those who claim compensation, as well as a responsibility to obtain the evidence required for a decision on the case.

Are there any victim support organisations in this country that can help me claim compensation in a cross-border case?

If you want to submit a claim or if you have any questions about compensation in cross-border cases, it is best to consult the Swedish Crime Victim Compensation and Support Authority for help and information. Information can be found at You can also call the authority at +46 90 70 82 00.

Last update: 13/03/2019

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.
Member States in charge of the management of national content pages are in the process of updating some of the content on this website in the light of the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union. If the site contains content that does not yet reflect the withdrawal of the United Kingdom, it is unintentional and will be addressed.


Use the form below to share your comments and feedback on our new website