Please note that the original language version of this page Dutch has been amended recently. The language version you are now viewing is currently being prepared by our translators.
Swipe to change

If my claim (from another country) is to be considered in this country


Content provided by:
There is no official translation of the language version you are viewing.
You can access a machine translated version of this content here. Please note that it is only provided for contextual purposes. The owner of this page accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the quality of this machine translated text.

Which authority decides on a claim for compensation in cross-border cases?

The Violent Offences Compensation Fund (Schadefonds Geweldmisdrijven)

Kneuterdijk 1
NL-2514 EM
The Hague

Telephone: 070-4142000
Fax: 070-4142001


Postal address:
Postbus 71
NL-2501 CB
The Hague

Can I send my claim directly to the deciding authority in this country even in cross-border cases (without having to go via the assisting authority in my home country)?


In which language(s) do the compensation authorities accept the:

- claim?

- supporting documents?

Dutch, English.

If the compensation authority translates the claim/supporting documents from another EU country, who pays for this?

The Violent Offences Compensation Fund.

Are there administrative or other charges to be paid in this country for processing my claim (received from another EU country)? If so, how can I pay these?


If I need to be present during the procedure and/or when my claim is being decided upon, can I be reimbursed for my travelling costs? How can I claim them? Who do I have to contact?

You do not need to be present during the procedure.

Is an interpreter provided, in case I have to be personally present?

Not applicable.

Will medical certificates, given by doctors in my country of residence, be accepted or recognised - or will my health/injury have to be examined by your own medical experts?

That depends on the practitioners concerned and the assessment of the situation made by our medical experts.

Will I be reimbursed for my travelling costs if I have to undergo a medical examination in this country?

Not applicable.

How long does it take approximately to get a decision on compensation from the authority/body?

No more than 26 weeks.

In which language will I receive the decision on my claim?

Dutch or your own language.

If I am not satisfied with the decision, how can I challenge it?

By lodging an objection. See above.

Can I get legal aid (help from a lawyer) under the other country’s rules?


Are there any victim support organisations in this country that can help me claim compensation in a cross-border case?

Victim Support Netherlands (Slachtofferhulp Nederland):

Telephone: 0900-0101.

Last update: 18/03/2019

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.


Use the form below to share your comments and feedback on our new website