Matrimonial matters and matters of parental responsibility


Content provided by:


The search tool below will help you to identify court(s)/authority(ies) competent for a specific European legal instrument. Please note that although every effort has been made to ascertain the accuracy of the results, there may be some exceptional cases concerning the determination of competence that are not necessarily covered.


Family law – matrimonial matters and matters of parental responsibility

*mandatory input

Article 67 (a)

The names, addresses and contact details of the central authorities designated pursuant to Article 53:

Two central authorities have been designated.

1. For the whole Regulation except for Article 56 (cross-border investments)

Ministère de la Justice (Ministry of Justice)

Direction des Affaires Civiles et du Sceau (Civil Affairs and Seals Directorate)

Bureau du droit de l'Union, du droit international privé et de l’entraide civile (Office for EU law, private international law and mutual legal assistance in civil matters, ‘BDIP’)

13 place Vendôme

75042 Paris Cedex 01

Office address:

5, boulevard de la Madeleine Paris 1er

Telephone:       + 33 1 44 77 61 05

Fax:        +33 1 44 77 61 22


2. For the application of Article 56 (cross-border investments)

Ministère de la Justice (Ministry of Justice)

Direction de la Protection Judiciaire de la Jeunesse (Youth Protection Directorate)

Bureau des affaires judiciaires et de la législation (Office for Legal Affairs and Legislation)

13, place Vendôme

75042 Paris Cedex 01

Office address: Le Millénaire 35 rue de la gare Paris 19ème

Telephone:       +33 (01) 44 77 69 02

Fax:        +33(01) 44 77 25 78


Article 67 (b)

The languages accepted for correspondence with central authorities pursuant to Article 57(2): French, English.

Article 67 (c)

The languages accepted for the certificate concerning rights of access and the certificate for the return of the child pursuant to Article 45(2): French, English.

Articles 21 and 29

The applications provided for by Articles 21 and 29 must be submitted to the following court authorities:

- in France, the Président du Tribunal de grande instance (President of the Regional Court)

Article 33

Appeals under Article 33 are to be lodged with the following courts:

- in France, the Cour d’appel (Court of Appeal).

Article 34

As provided for by Article 34, the judgment given on appeal may be contested:

- in France, only by bringing a pourvoi en cassation (appeal on a point of law to the Court of Cassation).

Last update: 25/03/2019

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.


Use the form below to share your comments and feedback on our new website