Victims' rights - by country


Content provided by:

I am a victim of crime, who do I contact for support and assistance?

Following first contact with the prosecuting authorities, as the offended party you will be provided, in a language you can understand, with information relating to: the health care facilities in the local area, residential facilities, refuges and shelters. If the victims include minors, the juvenile court must be informed, in order to assess the situation and the protection measures. If you so request, the law enforcement authorities have the duty to put you in contact, at any time, with the following organisations:

  • victim support services
  • specialised legal support authorities
  • Bar councils (Consigli dell’Ordine)
  • non-governmental organisations (NGOs)
  • legal clinics ‑ forensic medicine departments
  • state authorities involved in legal support (Ministry of Justice, Interior Ministry)

Victim support organisations

non-governmental organisations ‑ Associations involved in providing legal support to victims of crime

  1. trade unions: Italian General Confederation of Labour (Confederazione Generale Italiana del Lavoro; CGIL) - Italian Confederation of Workers' Trade Unions (Confederazione Italiana Sindacati Lavoratori; CISL) ‑ Italian Labour Union (Unione Italiana del Lavoro; UIL)
  2. Libera association [anti-mafia organisation] - 0832 683429‑683430
  3. Women's refuge Rome - 06 6840 172006
  4. consumer associations
  5. National network of associations for the rights of elderly people (Associazioni per i Diritti degli Anziani; ADA) - 06 48907327
  6. Dafne network (support for victims of violence) - 011 5683686

Anti-trafficking Helpline - 800 290 290

Anti-violence Helpline - 1522

Anti-discrimination Helpline - 800 90 10 10

Helpline for victims of genital mutilation - 800 300 558

Helpline for victims of terrorism and organised crime - 06.46548373 - 06.46548374 - 06.46548375

Helpline for victims of crimes related to the mafia - 800 191 000

Helpline for victims of extortion and usury - 800-999-000

Helpline in all languages to report incidents of discrimination and racism - 800 90 10 10

Emergency Helpline for minors - 114

Is victim support free?

Victim support is free.

What types of support can I receive from state services or authorities?

Crimes committed with violence can have traumatic effects on the victim, and as such you may seek assistance from the appropriate public services provided by the local health authority (Azienda Sanitaria Locale; ASL), such as family advice centres (consultorio familiare), and by the local municipality (social services). If the victims include minors, the juvenile court must be informed, in order to assess the situation and the protection measures. If you so request, the police authorities (military police (Carabinieri), state police, municipal police, etc.) have the duty to put you in contact, at any time, with the following organisations: Some refuges have safe houses in which, in more serious cases, you may be housed to escape further violence. In order to obtain information and/or get in contact with refuges in your area, you may also call the freephone number 1522, run by the Italian Prime Minister’s Office. If you are in personal difficulties, you can also request assistance from a support administrator (Amministratore di Sostegno), an individual who works under the direction of the Guardianship Section of the Civil Court and has the responsibility of assisting individuals, free of charge, who find themselves in difficulties, including temporary difficulties, to provide for their needs. You can submit a request directly to the Civil Court or explain your difficulties to the social services of the local municipality, so that they can inform the public prosecution service’s civil affairs office, which may order action on your behalf.

What types of support can I receive from non-governmental organisations?

Non‑governmental organisations provide different kinds of support, including psychological support, temporary accommodation in facilities such as refuges, legal support and advice, material support, providing necessities, etc.

Last update: 05/07/2018

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.
Member States in charge of the management of national content pages are in the process of updating some of the content on this website in the light of the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union. If the site contains content that does not yet reflect the withdrawal of the United Kingdom, it is unintentional and will be addressed.


Use the form below to share your comments and feedback on our new website