Please note that the original language version of this page Finnish has been amended recently. The language version you are now viewing is currently being prepared by our translators.
Swipe to change

Victims' rights - by country

You will be considered a victim of crime if you have suffered damage, e.g. you have been injured or your property has been damaged or stolen, etc., as a result of an incident, which constitutes a crime according to national law. As a victim of crime, the law confers certain individual rights to you, before, during and after court proceedings (trial).

Criminal proceedings in Finland start with pre-trial investigation of the crime, conducted usually by the police. During this stage, it will be established whether or not an offence has actually been committed, under what circumstances it occurred and the identity of the parties concerned as well as the extent of the injury or damage caused by the offence and your claims as a victim will be examined.

If there is sufficient evidence that a criminal act was committed the prosecutor will press the charge and bring the case to the court. During the trial the court examines the evidence and either convicts the alleged offender or declares him or her not guilty. The criminal proceedings may continue with possible appeal before a higher court.

The following factsheets will take you through the different steps your case will go through, describing your rights during the investigation of the crimeduring the trial or after the first trial. Also, read more about the help and support you can get.

Last update: 14/10/2018

The national language version of this page is maintained by the respective Member State. The translations have been done by the European Commission service. Possible changes introduced in the original by the competent national authority may not be yet reflected in the translations. The European Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to any information or data contained or referred to in this document. Please refer to the legal notice to see copyright rules for the Member State responsible for this page.


Use the form below to share your comments and feedback on our new website